New Investigator Awards in Circulatory and Respiratory Health
It is with great enthusiasm that we announce the launch of the CIHR/HTC New Investigator Award in Hypertension. This award is part of a NEW CIHR funding competition, titled the New Investigator Awards in Cardiovascular and Respiratory Health that will provide early-career investigators from a variety of research background the opportunity to initiate and conduct research in the areas of circulatory and/or respiratory health by providing protected research time via a stable salary base and operating funds.
Hypertension Canada and the CIHR Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health are partnering to provide up to a total of $345 000 over three years (i.e. a maximum of $115 000 per year) to support one Clinician Scientist. This award will support research that considers Hypertension Canada’s Patient, Caregiver, and Public Research Priorities, which include but are not limited to research relevant to:
- Hypertension treatment and management strategies focused on subpopulations including those with and without a family history, men vs. women, patients of Aboriginal or other ethnic groups.
- Effect of control of out-of-office blood pressure versus conventional office blood pressure on outcomes.
- Examining lifestyle interventions or combinations of lifestyle interventions on blood pressure reduction and on the reduction of required anti-hypertensive agents (AHTA).
- Evaluate the optimal thresholds for starting and stopping AHTA, or; the safety and effectiveness of natural and alternative treatments which do not adversely interact with AHTA.
- Optimal educational tools, strategies and technologies to improve patient education, motivation and health behaviour change for hypertension.
- Exploring the impact of stress on blood pressure.
In partnership, Hypertension Canada (HTC), AstraZeneca Canada (AZ Canada), the CIHR’s Institute of Aboriginal Peoples’ Health (CIHR-IAPH) and the Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health (CIHR-ICRH) will invest a total amount of $1, 380, 000, enough to fund up to four (4) awards.
|Launch of Request for applications||June 2017|
|Application deadline||September 2017|
|Notice of decision||October 2017|
|Start date||December 2017|
For more information, please contact CIHR Contact Centre at 613-954-1968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.